Michelle Pfeiffer in "The Fabulous Baker Boys" (1989)

One of the worst Oscar snubs of all time in my view. The best actress award at the 1990 Academy Awards really should have gone to her. Jessica Tandy does give a good performance in Driving Miss Daisy, but Michelle's performance is on an entirely different level. I think Roger Ebert said it best in his review of the film - 

"This is one of the movies they will use as a document, years from now, when they begin to trace the steps by which Pfeiffer became a great star. I cannot claim that I spotted her unique screen presence in her first movie, which, I think, was "Grease II," but certainly by the time she made "Ladyhawke" and "Tequila Sunrise" and "Dangerous Liaisons" and "Married to the Mob," something was going on. This is the movie of her flowering - not just as a beautiful woman, but as an actress with the ability to make you care about her, to make you feel what she feels. All of those qualities are here in this movie, and so is the "Makin' Whoopee" number, which I can only praise by adding it to a short list: Whatever she's doing while she performs that song isn't merely singing; it's whatever Rita Hayworth did in "Gilda" and Marilyn Monroe did in "Some Like It Hot," and I didn't want her to stop."

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Susie Diamond is forever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd probably say it's her greatest role (I love her in Love Field though too!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Love Field too. Any chance of a review?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of doing a review of it actually! Going to try and get round to it (and a couple of other Pfeiffer films, possibly One Fine Day & White Oleander) later on this week.

      Delete