A conflict of scheduling

This week I have found myself constantly wanting to post here but not really having anything substantial enough to post. I thought rather than adding a few short posts, I'd rather keep note of things I'd like to talk about and then write one larger post.

I've made a huge number of additions to my Flickr account - 

Venice

Florida 2010

 Florida 2010 

Florida 2012

Rome

Rome 

Pompeii 

Blondie

Dubrovnik

Venice

(Click through to go direct to my Flickr account, I can't put all the images I've added on here cause it'd take me around a decade)


In the build up to Christmas, my free time has been largely been dominated by watching my favorite Christmas specials & films. Due to uni work/working and other commitment I haven't managed to watch that many yet, but with my finishing uni tomorrow, this will soon be rectified. ANYWAY, so far I've watched -

"Scrooged" - 1988.
One of my all time favourite Christmas films and honestly, one of my favourite films in general. The films successfully breathes new lift into a story that has been told an immeasurable number of times by an immeasurable number of people. I would argue that it is the greatest version of A Christmas Carol to ever be told. Seriously. 


"Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (2000)
Despite the mixed reviews this film received, it has been established as something of a Christmas favourite in the 13 years since it's release. I feel the reviews are unjustified, and those that claim that it goes against the original Seuss text by being "too dark" or "adult" clearly have not read a lot of Dr. Seuss. Jim Carrey gives one of my favourite performances from him. I just love any film where Jim Carrey is green. 



"Home Alone" (1990) & "Home Alone 2: Lost in New York" (1992)
"Home Alone" and it's (unjustly) lesser appreciated first sequel are Christmas essentials to me. It's not Christmas until Macaulay Culkin has been abandoned by his entire family whilst hitting Tommy DeVito from Goodfellas with paint cans. While i'm on the subject though, I really just wanna know what in the name of all that is pure and good where people thinking when Home Alone 3, 4 & 5 were made?! Every Christmas I see these films thrown in somewhere in the festive line up and I ask myself "why?". 


"Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" (1989)
The first full length episode of The Simpsons and one of my favorites. I admire this not only as a Christmas special but also a pilot episode. Though it could be debated that the Simpsons shorts on the Tracey Ullman that had aired from '87 - '89 could somewhat be seen as the establishment of the characters. This episode is the first real time we get a look at their lives in any real detail, and I think it is done brilliantly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment