American Beauty (1999)

American Beauty and it's accompanying score are two things that I can never really seem to get out of my head. I'm kind of an Alan Ball kick lately after finishing Six Feet Under and American Beauty was my first port of call. 


The scene that has always stuck with me the most is the monologue that Lester (Kevin Spacey) reads at the end of the film. After finishing Six Feet Under, the quirks and repeated themes of the writing of Alan Ball are so clear. The way he deals with death and mortality is so interesting. The score by Thomas Newman is what really makes the scene stick. It perfectly flows with the speech whilst not being so overbearing that it drowns out the emotion of the scene. 


I also love "Dead Already" from the very beginning of the film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment